Houston Child Neglect Attorneys
Defending Against Child Neglect Accusations
An accusation that you have been neglecting your children can result in state intervention and CPS parental rights termination. If the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS) receives a report that your children have suffered neglect, you will be visited by an agent who will interview the members of your family and investigate your home for signs that could point to neglect or child abuse.
Some of the most frequently cited examples include:
- Leaving your child in a situation where there is risk of physical or mental harm
- Placing your child in a situation that requires judgment or actions beyond your child’s level of maturity or ability to cope with the situation, resulting in injury or risk of harm
- Failure to get appropriate medical care for the child, when this causes or poses a risk of death, disfigurement or bodily injury to the child
- Failure to provide your child with necessary food, clothing and shelter
- Placing your child at risk of sexual abuse
There is even a provision in the law that you can be held accountable for neglect if you refuse to give your child psychotropic drugs such as Ritalin or antidepressants, when it is argued by another party that this results in impairment to the functioning and development of your child. The law regarding child neglect is notoriously open to interpretation, and you can easily find yourself under investigation for neglect when you have done nothing wrong.
By speaking with a Houston child protective services attorney about your case, you can learn more about your legal rights and get started on a strategy for defending your family. If you are facing an emergency situation and are faced with either of the following forms, make sure to include information of the emergency in your online message to us:
- Parental Child Safety Placement
- Child Safety and Evaluation Plan
Child Protective Services took my children!
When you have been accused of neglect in Houston, you should come to Slate & Associates, Attorneys at Law. Together, every member of our team will treat you with care and respect, because we know how stressful it can be to have your family threatened with involuntary separation. We make ourselves available to clients at all hours, because we know you may need our help and defense in an emergency.
Contact a Houston child neglect attorney from our firm for more information about what you can do to protect your family when you have been accused of child neglect. We offer representation for both parents and grandparents!