Defending Relatives’ Rights Against CPS

Did Child Protective Services Take Your Children?

Relatives of children besides the parents have certain legal rights when it comes to the wellbeing of those children. In some cases, a parent may require the help of relatives to temporarily care for the children, for example, if the parents are hospitalized. In such cases, orders can be set up to give the chosen relative, such as a grandparent, the right to act as the children’s guardian.

These can be renewed indefinitely with agreement from the parent. If the parent is not voluntarily placing their children in the care of another, their parental rights may be questioned by concerned relatives or by Child Protective Services (CPS), also referred to as the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS)

Your Rights as a Relative

If CPS is involved with children to whom you are related and you wish to ensure their best interests are protected, it is vital you have the assistance of a Houston child protective services lawyer from our firm. You have the legal right to be notified if CPS plans to remove the children from their home yet there are cases on record where this right has been violated.

Once you are aware of this possibility, you may make your interest in having the children placed with you known to CPS, who would then investigate to determine if you are a suitable guardian.

How to Fight Child Protective Services

Even if you do succeed in having the children placed with you, this does not afford you legal custody, nor the rights that attend it. Petitioning for custody may be necessary to ensure the children’s best interests are protected and they are able to remain with their family.

At Slate & Associates, Attorneys at Law, we are dedicated to doing whatever is needed to fight for your rights as a family and protect children from destructive actions by CPS. With combined experience of more than six decades, we are well-versed in what is required to provide effective help and can guide you through every aspect of your case.

If you are concerned for the well-being of a child to whom you are related, contact a Houston child protective services lawyer for help exercising your rights.